Frequently Asked Questions
Why isn't the app on the Mac App Store?
Temp Monitor uses low-level access to mac hardware information. Though this method is publicly available (IOKit interface), this is not allowed on the Mac App Store.
How can I transfer the license from my old Mac to the new one?
In your old Mac, open the Activation Info window (Temp Monitor -> Activation Info...), then tap the Deactivate License button.
Open Temp Monitor in your new Mac and activate the license normally with your email and license code.
If your old Mac is broken or sold and you can't deactivate the license, please email us.
The app asks for a password. Which password is that?
Temp Monitor asks for the macOS administrator password to allow the helper app to work correctly. The helper app is responsible for reading data from SMC, sync data between the main app and menu app, and controlling fans. It must be done only initially.
How do I show/hide a sensor in the menu bar?
There is a switch button called 'SHOW IN MENU BAR' in every sensor detail view. You can tap it to show or hide a sensor in the menu bar.
How do I change the dropdown settings?
Open the Settings panel in the app and tap the button 'Edit Dropdown'. You can show/hide categories or reorder them.
How do I change the fan mode?
Temp Monitor can help control the speed of fans in your Mac. There are 3 modes of fan control you can use to change the fan speed in Temp Monitor:
- System: Let the system control fan speeds.
- Manual: You can manually change your fan speeds via fan sets.
- Auto Boost: Automatic fan set switching depends on the sensor value.
How do I create or edit a fan set?
Open the Fan panel in the app and tap the button 'Edit Fan Rules'.
To create a new fan set, tap the + button in the right corner of the FAN SETS view to create a new fan set. You also can rename a fan set by tapping it twice slowly on the list.
To edit the fan set value, tap on the fan set item, then drag the slider or input in the textbox. There are also 4 preset value buttons (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%) to change the fan set value quickly.
How do I set up Auto Boost?
Open the Fan panel in the app and tap the button 'Edit Fan Rules', then tap the + button in the right corner of the AUTO BOOST view to create a new auto boost item if needed. Every Auto Boost item have 4 sections:
- Sensor: The sensor that auto boost depends on.
- Threshold: The minimum limit value of the sensor that will trigger the auto boost.
- Battery State: The state of battery that auto boost depends on.
- Fan Set: The fan set that will be applied if the auto boost is triggered.
How do I create an overheat notification?
Open the Notifications panel in the app and tap the + button in the right corner of the NOTIFICATIONS view to create a new overheat notification. Every notification item has 5 sections:
- Active: Active state of the notification.
- Sensor: The sensor that overheats notification depends on.
- Current value: The current sensor value.
- Threshold: The minimum limit value of the sensor that will trigger the overheat notification.
- Repeat: If this is selected, overheat notification will be triggered every time the sensor value is greater than or equal to the threshold.
How do I uninstall the app?
On macOS simply quit the app and drag it from the application folder to the trash. We also support a menu for this: Open Temp Monitor, in the top menu bar, choose Help -> Uninstall Temp Monitor.
How to reset the SMC of my Mac
Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, and other features.